It's more than that...

Memorial Day is tomorrow. Everyone was happy on Friday because it was a 3 day weekend...a paid day off with barbecue - woo hoo! I was happy, I still am. But I forgot. How could I? I mean I only have 3 children serving our country. Yes, three. My two oldest and one of my step sons. Major nods to you 3!
I have always had nothing but the deepest respect for those who serve our country. I remember when my son Josh was in JROTC and the vultures - I mean recruiters would come to talk to him. One recruiter asked me how I felt about him serving. I replied "I believe it's an honor to lay your life down for your country whether you agree with it (your country) or not." He looked at me weird. That was when Josh was in high school. Well, the prom is over, the war is on and it's for reals now. I still think it's a great honor. My children and other parent's children and husbands and wives and parents - loved ones all over the world - are serving, protecting and fighting so that we can say we agree or disagree. But it's more than that. They are serving, protecting and fighting for so much more. And tomorrow we honor those who not only served, Memorial Day is about honoring those who died serving. The truest heroes. To the millions who died, we salute you. To the millions of family members who lost a loved one, we honor you and thank you and pray for you. In the middle of our barbecues, beach parties & picnics, I hope we remember we can have these things because of them. Sadly, there are those who will only think of their agenda. Those who will go to parades and protest and wave signs that have no business being waved. Shame on you. Irony is, you are free to do these things because of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

and remember, words are my love language...