If the Shoe Fits

Buy it in 3 colors and work it girl! I know, I know...it doesn't end that way. But again, I remind you, this is my blog neglected or not.

I had other titles in mind. "That Witch We Call, Arose" Or how about, "The Lovely Miss Gnomer" and for our Spanish speaking friends "¡Eso sí que es, s.o.c.k.s.!" And these all are, indeed, a bit more apropos to the subject at hand, but oh well.

On the way to work the car radio was squawking as usual. I truly hate morning radio, just play some music and be quiet already. It is too early to think, I don't want to hear crude humor and I'm far to sleepy to care. And I'm a morning person. So, I reach over to turn it down/off when this line from a commercial got my attention.

"Come stay at the Lock n' Terror Resort"

I turned, quizzically to Speed Racer, also known as my husband and said "would you want to stay at a hotel named "Lock 'n Terror"?" He chuckled. Then realized I was serious. Then he laughed. Out loud. In my face.

Rude.

"La Cantera. hon. It's La Can-ter-a."

Oh. Well, that clears that up. The gentleman from the commercial was, clearly, from the south of east Texas and was, clearly, (how shall I say this?) NOT of the Hispanic persuasion because it, clearly, was not heard as anything recognizable as, close to or resembling Spanish or a Spanish pronunciation. So there.

Of course there was not a goofy white-guy to excuse the time I asked my beloved why anyone in their right mind would name a company "Tit-least"? He responded so graciously and mercifully - laughing till he cried and then gently correcting me, at the top of his lungs, so as to protect me from the embarrassment of anyone nearby hearing "that's title-IST"...and to keep from furthering my embarrassment, he refuses to tell anyone this story. More than once or twice. While laughing.

I take it in stride. Only hitting him once or twice. While laughing.

Apparently the tree keeps its fruit really close because the youngest tends to ask the same questions. While examining a bag of cough drops during her recent brush with death she asked me "what's four-moo-lah?"

"I'm sorry, what?"

"What's four-moo-lah?" saying it slow for me, because that helps the blond lead the blind.

"In context?"

"On the cough drops bag it says: soothing four-moo-lah."

4 comments:

  1. Lovely lovely lovely. I'm with you. In early RE classes at school, why did no-one think to explain to my five year old me that a Gentile had nothing to do with a ceramic tile or a mirror tile? ("Lord now lettest thy servant depart in peace.. to be a light to lighten the Gentiles...." etc). It was decades before that one twigged!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only one thing to say:

    Neut-er-ring

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wils,
    Isn't it funny how one day you realize that a word you've thought all along is something other than what it is...Lord knows, those Gentiles need light - we don't want to stumble. :)

    Ali,
    I thought of that very thing. I started to put that in the post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome.
    lock n terror

    [i have driven by la cantera resort many times...its beautiful...no lock n terror there hahahah]

    ReplyDelete

and remember, words are my love language...