This is It...

Reality is a deceptive word. It seems that you know exactly what you are headed for, but later you find that the reality of then, was only what you thought it was.

Not a mirage. Not fantasy. Not even a misguided belief. More like a belief that is at each moment evolving, once blurred by thought and now sharpened by experience.

Two weeks ago, in reality, I fully realized that in 14 days I would have surgery. I knew the reality was that this surgery would absolutely change every aspect of my life - permanently. And I, being of sound mind, had done my homework thoroughly and was, or so I thought, prepared for the road ahead. No regrets, no fears, no worries.

And one week ago, in reality, I had said surgery and all things I imagined it to be, were brought in to focus and no longer what I originally thought, but now what I knew.

And then there comes a moment, when you wake up several days later, have chicken broth for breakfast for the third day in a row, have absolutely nothing you recognize as hunger for the third day in a row, have six large incisions across your belly and no idea if what you are doing is even going to work, when you say to your educated self, "Oh me, you had no clue. What have you done?"

All those so called well-informed-ideas that kept away any presentiments you might have had, go tearing out the door leaving it wide open for those nasty neighbors known as doubt to walk right in and make themselves quite comfortable. And you? You have not an inkling of what to say to them, how could you? You've never been here before.

This is not to say that I now feel some form of regret. Not at all. Just reality, sinking its sharp little claws deep into the very pit of my brain better known as the heart and the soul. The innermost being as it were.

And too, reality is a word pregnant with possibilities. Possibilities that, when given breath, put to death the shadowy doubts that cower in the corners of your mind. Possibilities have their own reality, a reality that itself evolves.

The hope of victory becomes a tangible reality one day at a time. The desire of perseverance takes yet another step on solid ground. The thought of resolve pounds in your heart one beat to the next, drumming out the whispers of what if and not you. And these realities become more and more at home in your mind than the doubts, the words of naysayers and the fleeting fears that once tried to nest.

And what was, transmigrates in to what is. And this day, this is it, this is your reality. Make it what you will.

5 comments:

  1. hey friend...
    just wanted to encourage you that God is victorious over any of those gloomy shadows and dangerous thoughts. you are already victorious through Him. you can and will press on because our God is big.
    love you...and when I am up at 3:33...or even 3:33 in the afternoon I will remember to pray for you!
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    Thank you! I really meant that as a victory post, you know? I just couldn't get the words to add up to what I felt....sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping in to say you're on my mind and being prayed for here in the desert. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always think that it only gets better once the anguish of anticipation is over. Good times. I'm very happy for you. = ]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Candy,
    Thank you! I really appreciate that, they are much needed...

    Citlali,
    You are right, and now I can move on.

    ReplyDelete

and remember, words are my love language...